Friday, February 18, 2011

Surfing is hard...that's what she said.

January 30th - Brent, a few of his mates and I hit the beach for an early morning surf. After the 20 minute workout paddling through big crashing waves, I finally was able to position myself for a wave….unfortunately for me the position I ended up in was face first on the ocean floor while my board was dragging me after it. Luckily Brent didn't have enough foot straps and I "volunteered" to give him mine so the more advanced surfers could stay out there. I rode the waves back in and felt as if my body had finished a marathon with no training and would soon be shutting down. Kate could only laugh as I laid panting in the sand for the better part of an hour. 


Brent, Kerry and the two of us drove down the coast about 50 km to Kiamba, a gorgeous little beach town known for the 'Blowhole.' Unfortunately it wasn't functioning as it normally does due in part to the great weather. Whatever though, we'd rather have clear blue skies and sun as opposed to watching ocean water shoot through a rock formation like a geyser at Yellowstone. Kate purchased a twenty oysters in a jar from a fish market right on the point and B & K had shells to cook them in upon returning home. 


We made leftover Kangaroo tacos for lunch and enjoyed them just as much as the night before. (For those who have seen the movie 'What About Bob' I'm referencing  the dinner scene where Bob eats at Dr. Leo Marvin's house and makes groaning and moaning noises the entire time. It was THAT good.) Kate and I then made a much needed trip to stock up on aloe, sunscreen SPF 150 and zinc. The cashier at Wooly's definitely looked at the items then looked at us, and then laughed and said, "You're not from here, are you?" 

We also bought some Goon which is cheap boxed wine, roughly 5 1/2 bottles per box for about $20.00. The problem isn't' the taste. The problem is it's the worst hangover of your life the following morning. The night was our first eventful one of our trip as we all were pretty drunk from the wine. Lots of laughs were had from Kerry sharing about her cat food eating habits as a child to Kate and her ability to never shut up. Probably one of those things where you really had to be there for any of it to be funny. Brent taught us the game of cricket and we finished the night with more drinks and the men's final of the Australian open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment